Usuarios en línea: 3

Juego al azar

Tags
No tags available for this page

Contador de visitas

Los 10 países que más nos visitan

Hoy visitas
Total visitas

La Mazmorra Abandon - La mejor selección de abandonware de terror y misterio de la red :: Ver tema - Covid Carl
 ·  Grupos de Usuarios  ·  Miembros  ·  Perfil  ·  Buscar  ·  Entre para ver sus mensajes privados
FAQ  ·  Entrar

Covid Carl
Ir a página 1, 2  Siguiente 
Publicar nuevo tema   Responder al tema       Foros de discusión -> Juegos actuales | Current games
Ver tema anterior :: Ver tema siguiente  
Autor Mensaje
DumpsterFireGames
Recién detenido
Recién detenido

MensajePublicado: Mie May 24, 2023 7:05 pm Asunto: Covid Carl Responder citando

Hi, I'm new to the site and am not very good with Spanish, but was told I could post this. I am a solo game developer and Covid Carl is the first game I have fully developed.

The game was built with 16ish bit graphics and was modeled after the Contra series. It came about originally as a prank to poke fun of issues that we were having with our boss at work. As I have OCD with not completing a project, I kept working on it for a couple of years until it became what it is today.

The story of Covid Carl follows the player as they attempt to stop a super soldier from a government project to vaccinate everyone. In typical fashion the government project goes awry and he starts mutating people instead. That's where you come in to shoot or burn almost everything that moves.

I did provide some localization for the menus(I used google translate, so forgive me if the translations are bad), the controls are customizable, and the game works great with a controller. The cutscenes are in English only.

Here is a gameplay video (I need to update it):

It's currently on Steam for both MacOS and Windows. It works great on the Steam Deck.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1881160/Covid_Carl/
Ver perfil de usuario Enviar mensaje privado
LocoMJ
Recién detenido
Recién detenido

MensajePublicado: Mie May 24, 2023 8:02 pm Asunto Responder citando

Wow!

It looks fun. I'm going to download the demo NOW.
If you need some spanish translation, I could help you with that.

Let's try!
Kendo
Archivero de almas
Archivero de almas

MensajePublicado: Mie May 24, 2023 9:02 pm Asunto Responder citando

I must confess "Covid Carl" is not the kind of name that makes me want to buy a game, and I thought it would be some kind of educational stuff, or some amateur thing with floating viruses... BUT it is absolutely not what I expected. It looks great, fun, and is full of explosions and good designs. So now I really want it, it looks like some kind of Contra, with zombies, or infected, whatever they are I just wanna burn em all.
Congrats for the game and let's try it!
Cm_blast
Verdugo
Verdugo

MensajePublicado: Mie May 24, 2023 9:17 pm Asunto Responder citando

ooh, a contra-like game. I like the design of the enemies, some of the animals looks alive, and those Majin-bu aliens.

It seems that the enemies are distinguible over the scenarios, which it is great to know where everything is.

I don't know how usefull or strong is the flametrowher, if it is an "alternative weapon" (or that you can carry two and 1 could be that one), but using a normal bullets and switching to a very low range high damage (maybe?) fire attack reminds me of the navy moves game (1988).
Luchoag
Jefe de mazmorras
Jefe de mazmorras

MensajePublicado: Mie May 24, 2023 11:10 pm Asunto Responder citando

A retro-shooter in the style of Contra? I'm in! Looks really great, looking forward to play it. Very Happy
It's always nice to see old-school indie games being released, congrats on the game!!
Ver perfil de usuario Enviar mensaje privado Enviar email
guardian
Administrador
Administrador

MensajePublicado: Jue May 25, 2023 12:23 pm Asunto Responder citando

Thanks for signing up and welcome to the site! I hope you enjoy the content and information that we share here. Also, you already know that you have my permission to publish everything you want about your current game and the ones you plan to develop in the future.
guardian
Administrador
Administrador

MensajePublicado: Jue May 25, 2023 12:32 pm Asunto Responder citando

RECIÉN ACTUALIZADO

Covid Carl has an event going on to coincide with Halloween and Screamfest. There is an achievement for playing the game during this time. If you don't want to participate in the Scared of the Dark event and would like to view the game without the use of a flashlight, you can disable the lighting in the game settings.

ACERCA DE ESTE JUEGO

Covid Carl is a Metroidvania/Contra-style 2d side-scrolling shooter. It will feature a brief story, 10 levels, and boss fights.

The story follows the player as they attempt to stop a super soldier from a government project to vaccinate everyone. In typical fashion the government project goes awry and he starts mutating people instead. That's where you come in to shoot or burn almost everything that moves. Shoot stuff, burn stuff, blow stuff up, and have fun doing it. That's the game in a nutshell. Not really much to sugarcoat. There's no planned DLC. There will be updates as needed for bugs and maybe a feature addition or two down the line.

Covid Carl was born out of frustration in dealing with certain societal elements during the Covid-19 pandemic. It has a pretty heavy dose of satire(is it, though?), some self-awareness about how bad it (the game) is, and hopefully more fun than frustration. Let's be honest, though. I'm not producing something that's AAA. You can run, jump, shoot, go prone, and die. Mostly die, in my experience, but I also might be getting too old to have good reflexes. There may or may not be a flamethrower involved. Who knows? I fully expect that the end product will be a mostly well-functioning dumpster fire. Clearly, I am not made out to be a salesman, as I am being honest and probably underselling this beast I've worked on for the last couple of years. But if it provides whoever pays a pittance for it with a modicum of entertainment, then I'll consider this endeavor a success. This isn't going to be a work of art, but it is my magnum opus.
DumpsterFireGames
Recién detenido
Recién detenido

MensajePublicado: Jue May 25, 2023 12:52 pm Asunto Responder citando

To answer some of the questions that you may have:

The flamethrower is a constant weapon for the player, but it only has about 5 seconds of fuel before it has to recharge.

Carl was the guys name I was pranking, so the name Covid Carl derived from there.

There are multiple projectile weapons in the game that have different attributes. Generally the higher the damage, the slower the shooting speed.

The demo does not have all the latest updates, but that is on the list of things to do this weekend. However, it will still only be the first 2 levels of content.

Also, it just occurred to me that adding a feature similar to Contra III's ability to store a second weapon to swap between the two might be a good idea. I'll put that on the list too.
leChuck
Centinela
Centinela

MensajePublicado: Jue May 25, 2023 10:31 pm Asunto Responder citando

Hi, and welcome to the forum.
First of all, congratulations on your game!! I haven't seen it in action yet but it looks really funny.
It's complicated to make a game only by yourself and from what I've seen you've put a lot of work into it.
And on top of that it plays well on Steam Deck!! Bailar
guardian
Administrador
Administrador

MensajePublicado: Sab May 27, 2023 9:35 am Asunto Responder citando

Cabe destacar que el juego está recibiendo constantes actualizaciones y parches, lo cual es de agradecer. A continuación os muestro los últimos:

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1881160
guardian
Administrador
Administrador

MensajePublicado: Sab Jun 10, 2023 6:27 am Asunto Responder citando

Hi DumpsterFireGames,

I've been testing the game in order to write a review and make it known, both on the web and on social networks. However, I am running into some problems that I would like to ask you before doing so:

- The game runs excessively slow for me and the character seems to move in slow motion, quite the opposite of what is seen in the official videos.
- The game opens for me by default in a window cut off in the lower right corner, which forces me to open the task manager and maximize the window to full screen and thus be able to play.

Do you know what it could be? I hope you can provide me with a solution so that I can progress in the game and have something to write about.
DumpsterFireGames
Recién detenido
Recién detenido

MensajePublicado: Sab Jun 10, 2023 11:39 am Asunto Responder citando

I'll get a patch ready today for the window location. This silly bug pops up from time to time.

I'm unsure about the slowdown issue. Can I ask what are the specs of your computer? I'll get a test environment going using those conditions to see if I can recreate it.
guardian
Administrador
Administrador

MensajePublicado: Sab Jun 10, 2023 12:24 pm Asunto Responder citando

The specifications of my computer are as follows:

Windows 10 Pro 64 bits
Intel Core i7-8750H 2.20 GHz
16 GB RAM
Intel UHD Graphics 630 + NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4 GB
DirectX 12
SSD 256 GB + HDD 1 TB

I hope this helps.
DumpsterFireGames
Recién detenido
Recién detenido

MensajePublicado: Sab Jun 10, 2023 1:47 pm Asunto Responder citando

OK, I have fixed the window starting position (again) and that update will be live this afternoon. Hopefully this time the code is future proof and won't break again.

I have a computer coming to me on Monday that is an i7-8750 with 16GB of RAM. It doesn't have the Geforce 1050 TI, but I will try to recreate the slowdown issue to figure out if it's a coding problem or a driver problem that I can code around.

Maybe we'll get lucky and the afternoon update will fix the slowdown issue without the need for further testing.
DumpsterFireGames
Recién detenido
Recién detenido

MensajePublicado: Lun Jun 12, 2023 7:02 pm Asunto Responder citando

After testing on several Intel machines both with discrete graphics and without there seems to be some issue with Intel passing the game graphics over to the discrete card. As a temporary fix, make sure to go into the settings and turn off the Bloom setting. This should make the levels run at the proper speed since Intel graphics seem to have an issue with bloom shaders and whatnot.

I'm also implementing a change to turn the Bloom setting off in the game initialization.

I'll research and see if there's anything I can do code-wise to initialize the discrete graphics. It might be something that needs to be done on your computer to tell it to use the discrete graphics with Covid Carl if you want to utilize the Bloom lighting setting.
Publicar nuevo tema  Responder al tema    Foros de discusión ->  Juegos actuales | Current games Todas las horas son GMT + 1 Hora
Ir a página 1, 2  Siguiente
Página 1 de 2

Cambiar a:  
Puede publicar nuevos temas en este foro